The Student News Publication of Franklin High School

The Buzz

The Buzz

The Buzz

A Descent into Hades: A Review of “The Underworld Saga”

Brace yourselves, Odysseus enthusiasts! Jorge “Mr. Jalephano” Rivera-Herrans has delivered a tour de force with “The Underworld Saga.” This isn’t your average musical retelling – it’s a hauntingly beautiful plunge into the underworld, guaranteeing a hero forever changed. Be warned, though: spoilers lie ahead!

To bring this epic to life, Rivera-Herrans assembled a cast of legends. Familiar voices from the show, like Luke Holt, return alongside the shocking return of Steven Dookie as Polites. Even a touch of family magic is woven in, with Rivera-Herrans’ own mother lending her talents to portray Odysseus’s mother.

The saga’s rollout began with a wink and a roar on April Fool’s Day, with Rivera-Herrans unleashing his inner beast in a joke version of the third song, “Monster” with “I am the monster Rawr Rawr Rawr.” Keeping the mystery alive, he couldn’t reveal the voice actor for Tiresias yet, but by April 18, a Discord challenge unlocked a sneak peek of the prophet’s voice, revealed to be the talented Mason Olshavsky. As Rivera-Herrans himself declared, “If you let Tiresias shenan once, he will shenanigan.” With that settled, it was time for Odysseus (and us) to brave the underworld.

The album softly opens with “The Underworld.” The remnants of Odysseus’s fleet, battered and weary, inch closer to the land of the dead. A chilling soundscape unfolds – the cries of the damned echoing through the cold, dark water accompanied by the groans of their decaying ships. These are not mere ghosts; they are Odysseus’s fallen comrades, their final thoughts a haunting chorus: “Why would you let the Cyclopse live when Ruthlessness is mercy?”

This line, according to Rivera-Herrans, reflects their state – the dead forever reliving their final moments. The song masterfully weaves in callbacks to past tracks, like the mournful echoes of “The Horse and the Infant” and “Open Arms,” while layering backing vocals, ship creaks, and the ominous groan of the ocean to create a truly immersive experience. The repeated refrain, “Waiting…Waiting…Waiting…Waiting,” foreshadows Penelope in Act Two. It’s hauntingly beautiful.

Odysseus reaches Hades’ shore, venturing into a cavern to find the person they came for – the blind prophet Tiresias. But instead of clear answers, Odysseus receives a truth bomb in “No Longer You” that shatters his world. Tiresias’ announcements, delivered by the haunting vocals of Mason Olshavsky, are layered with cryptic meaning, foreshadowing future events. The clash of brass and organ music mirrors Odysseus as he spirals. And the dead around him begin to shriek, “Get Out Now!” as the song reaches its climax. The final notes, a chilling repetition of “waiting” on the brass, leave no doubt: Odysseus is truly broken.

The saga culminates with “Monster,” a song that mirrors the opening track’s “Horse and the Infant” motif. Here, Odysseus confronts the depths of his despair. The loss of his crew, his best friend, and his mother all weigh heavily on him. This introspective ballad delves into the moral pit of his choices, forcing him to confront the peaceful nature of Polities, his dear fallen friend, and the twisted ideologies of the gods. particularly Poseidon’s mantra: “Ruthlessness is mercy upon ourselves.” With newfound clarity, but with a heavy heart, Odysseus prepares for the ultimate battle – a confrontation with his own fractured self.

Epic: Act One, culminating in “The Underworld Saga,” is a triumph. This isn’t just a musical retelling; it’s a vivid reimagining of a classic tale, spanning five unforgettable albums. The music paints a picture in sound, tugging at heartstrings with callbacks to past moments while leaving audiences eager for what’s to come. Forget 10 out of 10 – this is a masterpiece that deserves a permanent spot on your playlist as an 11 out of 10. With Act Two on the horizon (predicted for July/August release based on the last two sagas), all that’s left to say is: brace yourself!

In the meantime, dive into “Epic: Act One” – with a compilation video made up of all five sagas of act one.