The Student News Publication of Franklin High School

The Buzz

The Buzz

The Buzz

The Odyssey just might be the pinnacle of human storytelling

As a Greek mythology enthusiast, I am interested in all supernatural and Epic things. Homer’s “Odyssey” is one of ancient Greece’s most famous stories. The story of a man’s quest to reunite with his family after being away from them for twenty years. This story has inspired me in so many ways that it is hard to count, and I am here to share a bit about it to inspire you, maybe.

Set in ancient Greece, after the mythical Trojan War, the Greek general Odysseus and his 600 men journey from the ruins of Troy to all over the ancient world. A journey that took Odysseus a decade after the 10-year-long war that had families torn apart. But even after Odysseus returned home, his troubles weren’t over. Throughout the years his son, Telemachus, and his wife, Penelope, have patiently waited. When the suitors who had come to win Penelope over start to become restless, Telemachus sets out to find out what happened to his father.

With divine intervention and resilience, the family that had been split apart for a long time will reunite…What happens next? You will have to read it to find out but prepare for a tale of one man’s fight against fate dealt by an angry god.

For a book written more than two thousand years ago that was developed by word of mouth and edited and changed non-stop, the Odyssey is a star player of adventure stories and an enduring classic. I highly recommend reading this book and I would give it a 10/10.