The Student News Publication of Franklin High School

The Buzz

The Buzz

The Buzz

FHS Boys Basketball Looks Forward to the Future

FHS+Freshman+Basketball+face+off+against+Edison.+
Kimberly Martinez-Cabasag
FHS Freshman Basketball face off against Edison.

The Franklin High School boys’ basketball team finished their season on Wednesday, February 7, 2024. The scores were four wins and 22 losses for freshmen; one win, 24 losses for junior varsity; and one win and 26 losses for varsity.

Despite this record, the team and coaches said this season has provided the team with valuable experiences and learning opportunities that they can use to do better in future seasons. “Our season is going really good. Because they are freshmen… [we have been working on] the fundamentals of basketball and them learning how to work as a team…overall it’s going okay minus the record,” Coach Omar Stewart said.

In this past season, many players got to experience what it is like to play with new people and get closer as the season progressed. They also experienced what it is like to go against other schools with a higher rank of players.

There have been many ups and downs throughout the season, but the players said that did not stop them from having fun. This season has helped the players improve not just in their games but in their grades, too.

Iain Rin (9) from the freshman boys basketball team said that this season he has been working on defense, new formations, and getting more rebounds with his team. He stated that the game that impacted him the most was the Chavez game, where he scored a free throw that secured the win for Franklin.

Jahaziel Wong (10) from the JV basketball team pointed out that he did not gain much from playing, but it gives him a reason/motivation to keep his grades up in all his classes. Advice he would give to his team would be to communicate more and look before they pass. The player’s main goal is to get a double-double in the game.

These games have impacted them in many ways, and although this season of basketball may not have been the greatest, they will make a comeback next year because they know what they must work on to get better for the upcoming season.