The Student News Publication of Franklin High School

The Buzz

The Buzz

The Buzz

FHS Senior Wins Super Smash Bros Tournament

Giovani Gonzalez Melgoza (12) emerged victorious in Franklin High School’s E-Sports Club’s second annual Super Smash Bros. Tournament, which concluded on April 19th. The two-week-long competition saw finalists battle it out to win prize money and trophies.

The E-Sports Club, led by Club advisor Fortino Tafoya, has grown significantly over the past two years, garnering both funding and positive recognition within the school. The recent tournament kicked off on April 8th during lunch hours in Tafoya’s room, where contenders faced off in bracketed, one-on-one matches to determine who would advance. After an initial round of qualifiers, finalists battled it out in a championship bracket that spanned two days, culminating in a tie-breaker round for third and fourth place.

The FHS E-Sports Club

“This event drew in dozens of students last year and it was definitely a positive experience for everyone,” said Tofoya when asked about the tournament’s purpose. “That was our main goal from the club: create something fun and socially positive for Franklin students.”

Beyond competitive gaming, the E-Sports Club has been actively involved in fundraising throughout the year. “We’ve sold hot chocolate, pastries, ramen cups, and soda to raise funds,” explained Tofoya. “This year, we even went on a fun field trip to StocktonCon.” The club’s next big objective is to establish a dedicated gaming lab for its competitive players to practice and hone their skills.

The Super Smash Bros. competition is slated to return next year, and the E-Sports Club looks forward to continuing its fundraising mission, fostering a welcoming environment for gamers, and providing a platform for friendly competition within the school.