The Student News Publication of Franklin High School

The Buzz

The Buzz

The Buzz

Plant Club: A place where people can relax after a long week

Plant Club at Franklin High School is where students can relax after a long week from school. Club members meet every other Friday for an hour after school from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Club meetings are in A-120 in club advisor Alexis Ortega’s classroom.
The club was founded during the 2021-2022 school year and is currently managed by Ryan Lampitok (12), the club president, and his peers. Plant Club allows students to work with and nurture plants while learning about various plant facts.
The activities in Plant Club are designed to be calming for students. Even when members are not working with plants, they perform crafts.
“Within those activities, they get to interact with each other and show people their creativity,” Jennifer Plascensia (12) said.
During every meeting, the officers conduct the “Plant of the Week,” an activity where the officers will pick a plant to present to the club. They present a handful of facts about the chosen plant to start off each meeting.
Throughout this school year, Plant Club has conducted a handful of activities. They began the year by allowing club members to decorate their own “Pikmin” characters, in reference to the video game series to express themselves.
“We wanted to make every member comfortable in the club. We understand that it might be kind of awkward breaking the ice, so we decided to design Pikmin to start off the club,” Lampitok said.
Other activities Plant Club has conducted throughout the year are cutting philodendrons and replanting them in water, pulling apart succulents to share with others, and carving pumpkins in honor of Halloween.
In regards to crafts specifically, members decorated their own ornaments to hang on Ortega’s mini Christmas tree, created buttons, and designed Valentine’s Day cards.
“Because the club is low maintenance, not only for the officers but also for the members as well, it makes it a chill experience for everyone,” Lampitok said.
Plant Club is a great way to unwind because of the community that the officers and members, where everyone is friendly, have built throughout the years.