The Student News Publication of Franklin High School

The Buzz

The Buzz

The Buzz

New Coding Club gives FHS students opportunity to learn computer programming

The Coding Club is a newly established club at Franklin High School, founded by Co-Presidents Jyrel Mendoza (12) and Diego Sanchez (12). Club members meet every Tuesday for an hour after school from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Club meetings are in S-12 in club advisor Luis Hernandez’s classroom.

Coding Club allows students to learn the basics of computer programming skills. Throughout past years at FHS, computer programming has never been taught. Coding Club is the first club to allow students to learn more about programming.

FHS’s lack of technological classes and resources prompted the creation of the Coding Club. The club’s Co-Presidents of the club, Mendoza and Sanchez, agreed that introducing students to coding was the best way to change this.

Recently, students in the Coding Club have been learning about block code to become familiar with programming. In the future, club officers plan to teach students the programming language Python.

Coding allows students to create video games, websites, calculators, AI, and more programming skills to help them with all subjects. “You can create everything; the only limitation is your creativity,” Sanchez said.

The Coding Club is for students who want new experiences. The club is a great way to learn something new that the school does not offer.
The club historian, Ryan Lampitok (12), said, “The club’s goal is to develop a community of coders at Franklin.”