The Student News Publication of Franklin High School

The Buzz

The Buzz

The Buzz

The Buzz New Spanish Section; “Nuestro Espacio”

“Nuestro Espacio” is a new section that has been officially added to our Franklin High School online newspaper site. It was created to give our community of Spanish speakers at FHS a space to write and express themselves in their Spanish language.

In an interview with Kimberly Sanchez, The Buzz Editor in Chief and the founder of “Nuestro Espacio”, she was asked what prompted her to start this new section. “I [have] experienced being left out just because I am a Spanish speaker,” Sanchez said. “I [want] to bring the community [at] Franklin together by giving them a voice, no matter the language, so they can actually express what they feel, [and] their ideas.”

Furthermore, Sanchez shared that another motive behind this project was to get more people involved in journalism at FHS, and this Spanish section would open the opportunity to hundreds more FHS students.

Sanchez also added that in this section, Spanish speakers can write articles about anything they want; the possibilities are nearly endless. Sanchez also shared that the journalism team is looking for more Spanish editors. If you want to be involved in journalism, you can take the class (add it to your schedule) or join the journalism club that is available next year. Meetings will be held on Tuesday during lunch, and Spanish translation will be provided.

Horacio Viramontes, a Spanish teacher at FHS, has also been very involved in making this new section. He is currently a Spanish editor for the articles written by students for the Spanish section. “[I hope to] publicize about foreign languages… culture and tradition, or festivities that we celebrate that we share with the overall Franklin community,” Viramontes said.

Viramontes encourages students to get involved in journalism and in this new Spanish section. “First of all, getting involved in this is going to help them with their writing skills, not only in English but in Spanish and it could contribute and share other things from their culture,” Viramontes said. He closed by adding that the various ethnic backgrounds of students at FHS make it so that being involved in journalism gives them opportunities to learn and share their culture.